Which HVAC Contractor Will Best Meet Your Needs
As a courtesy to our customers, we offer this “Which Contractor Will Best Meet Your Needs” questionnaire to use prior to hiring any contractor you wish to have come onto your property to perform work.
This questionnaire is designed to help you prevent unnecessary liability exposure when hiring trade companies. At Jansen Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. we adhere to the highest quality standards and answer “YES” to each of these basic homeowner contracting requirements:
100% compliance questions:
- Are you and your subcontractors licensed to do this type of work?
CAUTION! TOO RISKY NOT TO ASK
Your homeowner’s insurance does not cover work done by unlicensed contractors!
- Are you insured to do this type of work?
CAUTION! THE AVERAGE CLAIM FOR INJURY RELATED DEATHS IS $1.6 MILLION
Your homeowner’s insurance may not cover an accident, injury or damage! Require <$2+> Million!
- Are your installers trained to use power tools and equipment in and around occupied spaces?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT HAVE A SAFETY TRAINING PROGRAM
Avoid negligence claims against you, the homeowner, by requiring the contractor to provide a copy of their safety program!
- Do you perform drug testing to screen your employees for hire?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PERFORM DRUG TESTING ON NEW HIRES
Avoid negligence claims against you, the homeowner, by choosing a contractor that performs drug testing for all new hires!
- Do you run a criminal background check on your employees?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PERFORM BACKGROUND CHECKS
Don’t be victimized! Many service people have a history of theft and other crimes.
- Will you guarantee my ultimate comfort and satisfaction?
CAUTION! INSTALLATION INVOLVES COMFORT, SAFETY, HEALTH, PROPERTY, & FINANCES
Get this 100% satisfaction guarantee in writing!
- Will you use driveway protectors, mats, & drop cloths while working inside/outside my home?
CAUTION! INSTALLATION WORK REQUIRES VEHICLES, PEOPLE TRAFFIC, & FLUIDS
Damage to your property could raise our total cost of installation dramatically!
- Will you clean up at the end of each day?
CAUTION! MOST CONTRACTORS DO NOT INCLUDE A DAILY CLEAN-UP AS PART OF THE JOB!
There is no need to have your home use or beauty detracted from!
- Will you remove my old equipment and all debris from the premises?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT ITEMIZE THIS IN THEIR SCOPE OF WORK
“Disposal fees” added on at the end of the job are a common “hidden charge.”
- Will you provide NATE certified technicians to work on air conditioning/heating equipment?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PROPERLY CHARGE AC EQUIPMENT
Avoid improper equipment set-up by requiring the contractor to assign you NATE certified staff!
- Do you have office staff to handle potential customer care situations?
CAUTION! ALTHOUGH UNLIKELY – EVEN THE BEST INSTALLATIONS CAN HAVE AN ERROR
Who’s going to respond to your questions, comments, concerns or complaints?
- Have you been in business very long?
CAUTION! 90% OF ALL SYSTEMS ARE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY
Only an experienced contractor can install correctly – putting you in the error free, top 10%.
- Will you guarantee that the price quoted will be the final price, even if you overlooked something?
CAUTION! GETTING A LOW PRICE IS EASY WHEN A CONTRACTOR MISSES SOMETHING
Beware of a low initial price followed by a price increase after the work has started!
HVAC System Replacement Questions:
- Will all work meet or exceed existing codes and will you be pulling a permit?
CAUTION! FIRE DUE TO CODE VIOLATIONS COULD VOID YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE
Avoid this liability exposure by requiring the contractor to pull a job permit.
- Do you use DOE endorsed written installation, start-up, and warranty management procedures?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 INSTALLATIONS ARE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY, WASTING ENERGY
Avoid this pitfall, or worse: defacing your property. Ask to see their installation procedures!
- Will you do a whole-house “Manual J” load calculation and duct distribution analysis?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 INSTALLS ARE OVERSIZED AND DUCTS IMPROPERLY DISTRIBUTED
Avoid energy waste and comfort issues by requiring contractor to do a “Manual J” & duct sizing!
- Is any maintenance included?
CAUTION! MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTIES MAY BE VOIDED IF NOT MAINTAINED PROPERLY PER MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS
The only way to keep your equipment running properly is with regular maintenance!
- Are you authorized to provide the equipment manufacturer’s recommended repairs and maintenance?
CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 SYSTEMS ARE NOT INSTALLED OR SET UP PROPERLY
To assure equipment is back up and running quickly, get proof of being an authorized dealer in writing!